Some of the things I use timers for:
- seeing how long it takes me to do the dishes
- Praying (I want to pray at least 5 minutes morning and night and a timer helps me do that)
- remembering to leave to pick my kids up from school
- limiting my social media time (1 hour a day after spending 20 minutes on my to do list)
- limiting phone call lengths
- when teaching, I use one to make sure I get to all the material I wanted to
It sets a boundary and reminds me when it is up.
My kids have learned from this.
Today I came home from voice lessons for T3 and T2 was nowhere to be found! I called and texted him and was starting to worry when I looked at the calendar and remembered that he had piano. I hadn’t remembered it was his piano day and hadn’t reminded him to go. (Our piano teacher is down the street so he can get there himself.)
Indeed he was at piano. I told him how awesome it was he had remembered to go on his own. He said, “I set a timer so I wouldn’t forget.”
I was so happy I had taught him the power of using a timer as a tool and that he remembered to use it on his own!
What things do you use timers for?